Prosecutors seek 5
简介The prosecution on Friday demanded five years in prison for Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yon ...
The prosecution on Friday demanded five years in prison for Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yong on charges of stock price rigging and accounting fraud connected to the controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates.
Prosecutors also requested a fine of 500 million won ($387,000) for Lee during the final hearing at the Seoul Central District Court.
Lee is charged with stock price rigging, breach of duty and accounting fraud in the course of the controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates, Cheil Industries and Samsung C&T Corp. The trial began in September 2020.
For seeking the prison term, the prosecution cited how Lee denied all charges leveled against him when he was the chief decision-maker, and how benefited from the process.
The prosecution argues that Lee and company executives planned and executed a series of illegal steps in the process of merging the group's construction and fashion companies. The prosecutors allege the illegal processes allowed Lee to increase his control over the conglomerate.
Two senior Samsung executives, including Choi Gee-sung, a former head of Samsung's now-disbanded control tower Future Strategy Office, have also been charged. Prosecutors have asked them to be given prison sentences of 4 1/2 years and a 500 million won fine for related charges.
A ruling is expected in early 2024 at the earliest.
Volvo on Tuesday launched its latest all-electric sport utility vehicle, EX30, in South Korea, empha ...
The urban regeneration project for Seongdong-gu in eastern Seoul fosters ways both to attract new vi ...
Folktales are passed down through generations, evolving as they move from one storyteller to another ...
- 'Do not open plane doors' warning mandated for planes in flight
- SK hynix starts supply of world’s fastest mobile DRAM for China's Vivo
- Bikes or motor vehicles? E
- Music director, composer Jung Jae
- Samsung Biologics sees highest
- Rising star pianists of three Asian countries join force for peace concert
Korean Air orders 20 Airbus A321neo aircraft
Daewoong's Nabota tops botulinum toxin exports
Multicultural educator Min Byoung
British interdisciplinary artist Jane Benson turns literary texts into art
Seoul shares start lower ahead of key rate decision
Ruling party reform committee under pressure to disband
- 한기호 "제주해군기지는 盧의 결실"…여‧야 모두 박수 보냈다
- LG Energy Solution's new residential ESS to hit US market
- 김의겸 "김혜경 법카 유용 의혹, 그 정도 사안은 영장 못 쳐"
- In a first, Le Sserafim collaborates with Overwatch for in
- 尹 "참모들 앉아있지 말고 현장 가라…나도 민생 더 파고들 것"
- Coupang Play seeks turnaround with exclusive content
- [Herald Interview] New Royal Salute makes grand debut to tap deeper into Korean whiskey market
- [Herald Interview] Rising star conductor Klaus Makela to meet Korean audiences
- LIG Nex1 seals global defense ties at Seoul ADEX 2023
- [Korean History] 2003, when Korean cinema was at its finest
- Samsung files complaint in US against BOE for allegedly leaking trade secrets
- LG CNS, NYC, AmCham Korea forge partnerships on digital transformation
- More mosquitoes in Seoul this fall: report
- Hyundai, Kia report robust EV US sales, shrug off impact of IRA
- Volvo expands presence in Korean market
- [New in Korean] Millionaire dog sponsors human artist in Yun Ko
- [Today’s K
- [Weekender] Pop
- From artisan to 'foreign laborer:' a French craftsman's take on Korea's construction scene
- Unauthorized AI
- South Korea lining up banks to help finance $22 billion arms sale to Poland
- Foreign exchange reserves fall for third consecutive month
- Quake shakes northwest Nepal, killing at least 128 and injuring dozens
- [New in Korean] 'The path to happiness is forgiveness,' says Korea's first million
- 尹대통령 지지율 1%p 오른 34%…국민의힘 34% 민주당 33% [갤럽]
- S. Korea thanks countries near Gaza for assisting in evacuation of S. Korean family
- Blinken redoubles calls for humanitarian pause in Israel
- Unification ministry plans to hold talks with UN Command to resume Panmunjom tour
- 8 in 10 favor removing mandatory camera shutter sound: survey
- [From the Scene] Samsung bets big on package substrates for future chips