[Korea Beyond Korea] Berlin, Europe's Korean Studies hub, nurtures next
简介BERLIN -- Right before the winter semester was about to start in Germany, some 10 students gathered ...
BERLIN -- Right before the winter semester was about to start in Germany, some 10 students gathered in a classroom in southwestern Berlin in September.
The students, all top Korean Studies majors from across Europe, were selected by the Institute of Korean Studies at the Free University of Berlin to partake in the annual Korean Competence Week.
The weeklong workshop was created to foster the region’s next generation of Korean experts, which is an area that lacks greatly in numbers, according to Professor Lee Eun-jeung, director of the FUB’s Graduate School of East Asian Studies.
In recent years, Berlin has developed into a hub for Korean Studies in Europe. Today, the capital of Germany is home to one of the most prestigious Korean Studies programs in the world and is also a centerpiece to Korea’s endeavor to foster a deeper understanding of the country’s culture worldwide.
Next generation of Korean experts
The students attending competence week sat in on a round table discussion, listening carefully to the senior adviser at Center for Humanitarian Dialogue, a Switzerland-based organization dedicated to resolving armed conflicts around the world. The lesson of the day was about Sweden’s role in promoting the peace process on the Korean Peninsula.
The students were expected to share their thoughts in a follow-up discussion session.
“Our ultimate goal is to foster Korean experts, so they could work in Europe’s public sectors and global organizations or become envoys to Korea,” Lee said in an interview with The Korea Herald on Sept. 28 in Berlin.
Lee explained that most European diplomats or envoys to Korea in both the past and the present majored in Chinese or Japanese Studies, making them experts on those countries, but not experts on Korea.
“We’re trying to change that,” she said.
To become experts, students are required to dive into the rigorous process of earning both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in Korean Studies and sometimes pursue a doctorate.
An umbrella group for those in dog meat industry in South Korea has vowed to hold a protest Thursday ...
Peeping leaves of red and gold while grasping a cup of warm coffee at a nearby cafe or enjoying the ...
South Korea's unification ministry plans to hold talks with the UN Command to resume a tour pro ...
New NZ minister takes oath in English and Korean
[New in Korean] Even in city overrun by mold, humans dream of stars, sunsets
Yoon says fake news threatens freedom, elections at AI Safety Summit
S. Korea vaccinates over 76% of cattle against lumpy skin disease
German envoy calls for enhanced security cooperation with S. Korea
"I am..." meme latest to go viral in bizarre saga surrounding fencing star
- 김기현 “한동훈 자질, 대한민국 위해 잘 발휘될 수 있게 할 것”
- 'Dancing woman' on Seoul street arrested for meth use
- 김영진, 원희룡 인천 계양을 출마설에 “이재명과 맞대결 환영”
- South Korea’s digital reputation dented by government network outage
- Korea, UK to adopt Downing Street Accord to elevate ties: presidential office
- Yoon heads to UK for state visit, eyes deeper security relations
- All residents with disabilities to get personal doctor
- King Charles welcomes South Korea's president with state banquet, mingles with K
- Jungkook holds live stage event for fans
- Number of youth addicted to online gambling rises
- Kakao Mobility announces plan to overhaul commission system amid monopoly criticism
- ArtToken, KAIST sign MOU to cooperate in art, technology fields
- On verge of closing, rural school tries to lure students with financial benefits
- Director touts Netflix's ‘Daily Dose of Sunshine’ as warm tale for adults
- 홍준표 "서울 메가시티, 시대 역행…尹정책과도 안맞아"
- Asiana Airlines delays decision on cargo business sell
- HDC to spur digital innovation for efficiency, safety
- Weeekly invites listeners to enter universe where dreams come true
- [Korean History] Bodies of two infants discovered in freezer in Seoul's Seorae Village
- Posco secures W6tr supply deal from Lotte Energy Materials
- SK chief calls on board members to help CEOs make balanced decisions
- LG, Hyundai, YouTube team up for in
- Kakao taxi
- N. Korean envoy rejects report on Hamas using N. Korean arms as 'groundless'
- [Today’s K
- ‘홍범도·양평고속도로’ 야당 쓴소리에 윤 대통령 주로 경청
- Celltrion wins UNDP tender to supply anticancer treatments to Turkmenistan
- Jungkook ties record for most Billboard Hot 100 hits as K
- [Korea Beyond Korea] From history and K
- 北 ‘환적지 이동’ 정황…석도 인근서 10월에만 10건 포착