[New on scene] Lee Jun
简介Actor Lee Jun-young, who was recognizable for his villainous roles in “D.P.” and “Mask Girl,” has sh ...
Actor Lee Jun-young, who was recognizable for his villainous roles in “D.P.” and “Mask Girl,” has shown another level of villian in his first film “Brave Citizen” directed by Park Jin-pyo.
In "Brave Citizen," Lee stars as a student named Han Soo-gang (Lee Jun-young), dubbed "crazy dog" for his bullying antics, constantly beating up not-so-well-off classmates. His merciless bullying is hard to stomach, such as when Soo-gang puts a plastic bag over a classmate's head, along with other brutal acts.
“I worried a lot. It was my first commercial film and it was a project that had been completed two years ago. I even asked the director if I did okay. After watching it, I found the film had really maximized my acting as a villain,” Lee told The Korea Herald in an interview in Seoul on Oct. 19.
He said that he and the film's director Park shared many discussions on how to find the best angle to make him look more like a bad guy.
“I always thought that I had kind eyes,” said Lee, laughing.
“But director Park said that when I talk about something serious, my sharp-sighted eagle eyes comes out. He also wanted me to practice giving a dirty look. So whenever I looked into a mirror, in a car or while brushing my teeth, I would practice making such a face and eyes, telling myself that I was evil,” said Lee.
In addition, Lee also made use of his tongue to show a more villainous side of his character.
“It was my idea to use my tongue, like sticking it out or biting someone’s ear, because I wanted to make a signature habit of Han Soo-gang. Like in the Bible where a snake uses its tongue, I wanted to be reminded of Satan. Maybe it was a one-dimensional idea, but the director liked it,” said Lee.
While there may have been pressure on the actor to play one villain role after another -- from Jung Hyun-min in “D.P.” and Choi Bu-young in “Mask Girl” -- Lee said he hesitated at first.
“For a scene, I had to harass a classmate's grandmother. It was a time when my own grandma was sick. So shooting that scene on that day was especially difficult for me. I concentrated on shooting, but I cried after. It was really difficult to express and control my emotions that went back and forth (while acting),” Lee said.
Adding to renewed tensions between the two Koreas, North Korean soldiers guarding the truce village ...
K-pop boy group n.SSign will continue promoting its debut album one member short, with Doha on a bre ...
For one local beer aficionado, the recent increase in the variety of alcoholic beverages available a ...
- S. Korea's heavyweights like ex
- Art Token launches Hangeul
- For esports fans, more activities await beyond LoL matches
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- Disability rights group lodges complaint with rights watchdog over leader's arrest
- [Test Drive] BMW 5 Series makes more powerful, elegant comeback
S. Korea's heavyweights like ex
[Photo News] AI, conventional painting come together
'We overcame together': NCT127 returns on more solid ground
Hyundai Motor chairman marks 3rd year of record earnings
Cheong Wa Dae to open for winter night stroll event
Kakao Bank to acquire 10% stake in Indonesian digital bank
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- Olympic medalist ‘tricked’ by fiance
- Seventeen 1st K
- Koreans well equipped to overcome global economic turmoil, says ex
- Seventeen 1st K
- [Photo News] Commemoration for Itaewon tragedy in Gwangju
- Hyundai Motor’s yearly earnings hit record
- 윤 대통령, 4박 6일 사우디·카타르 순방 마치고 귀국
- 北 "우간다 이어 홍콩 영사관 폐쇄"…재외공관 철수 행렬 왜
- NiziU wins best pop video at MTV VMAJs
- S. Korea's English proficiency slips 13 notches to 49th
- Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
- China’s AliExpress eyes expansion in Korea
- Seoul shares close tad lower ahead of BOK's rate decision
- Dog meat group threatens to release 2 million dogs near presidential office
- S. Korea's Busan making last
- BOK likely to keep policy rate unchanged on slowdown, hope for Fed's rate freeze, easing inflation
- LS Materials to tap deeper into EV, green energy markets
- Hanwha Ocean developing submarine stealth technology
- Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
- South Korea warns tit
- KT SAT to adopt Starlink for enhanced maritime internet
- Spike in camping enthusiasts in Korea, yet camping etiquette lags behind
- Seoul shares close more than 1% higher on extended Israel
- Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers
- Seoul reviews scenarios for restoring guard posts in DMZ
- Cheong Wa Dae to open for winter night stroll event
- Hyundai’s ‘Uni Wheel’ system gives more room for different car designs
- [Herald Review] ‘Single in Seoul’ a bland rom
- Samsung Biologics sees highest